Mechanical & Electrical Contractors Association
The Mechanical and Electrical Contractors Association (M&ECA) is the national representative trade association for mechanical and electrical contractors operating in the electrical contracting and building services sector in Ireland.
The Mechanical Engineering & Building Services Contractors Association represents mechanical contractors who undertake heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) works including design, installation, inspection, testing and maintenance.
President: Mr Sean McElligott, Lynskey Engineering Ltd
Vice-President: Mr Joe Delaney, Tritech Engineering
The Electrical Contractors Association represents electrical contractors operating in the commercial and industrial sectors carrying out electrical works including design, installation, repairs, commissioning and maintenance.
President: Mr Tim Ferris, O’Shea’s Electrical Ltd
Vice-President: Mr Colm Burke, Mercury Engineering
Members of the umbrella association, the M&ECA, account for approximately 70% of the mechanical and electrical contracting output in the construction industry in Ireland.
The objectives of the Association are to:
- Represent members interests individually and collectively
- Promote the interests of the Association both within, and outside of, the Construction Industry Federation
- Negotiate agreements with trade unions relating to wage rates and conditions of employment
- Negotiate with prime contractors and/or client organisations fair and equitable conditions for trading including tendering conditions and forms of contract.
- Promote policy decisions of the Association to the Executive Body of the CIF and other relevant organisation, including Government Departments.
- Liaise with appropriate stakeholders in the industry in relation to apprenticeships, health and safety, tendering, payment practices, employee relations, technical standards and economic policy.
Members of the Association can avail of detailed, practical advice on a range of issues including:
- Expert review of contract documents, particularly in relation to amended standard forms of contract and sub-contract and bespoke documents
- Expert review and advice in relation to Collateral Warranties
- Assistance and advice in relation to payment disputes, including access to the dispute resolution services offered by CIF
- Advice and guidance on procurement law and pre-qualification documentation
- Expert advice on a range of employee relations matters including contracts of employment, TLO, redundancy and grievance & disciplinary procedures
- Representation at numerous industrial relations forums including the Labour Court, the Labour Relations Commission, Rights Commissioners, Employment Appeals Tribunals and the Equality Tribunal.
- Advice and guidance on health & safety legislation, site safety plans and safety training.
The Association also hold social events annually including the MEBSCA Golf Outing and the ECA Conference.